Sunday, February 1, 2009

The little things do add up

My healthy eating habits started to diminish around Thanksgiving and where pretty much none existent by Christmas. So I decided to get back to those healthy eating habits. Not because I wanted to lose weight, but because I knew how much more enjoyable my life can be when I eat healthy.

At the beginning of the year I started over. I gave up Coca Cola...not Diet Coke...straight, fully loaded Coke. I was up to one can a day, more when I ate out, so this was a big deal for me to give up (check out my Admitting you have a problem post).

I also went back to eating lots of salads. For lunch I eat a huge salad and at dinner I have a salad followed by a smaller portion of the meal. Sometimes I just have a salad. I don't get bored because I keep different healthy dressing choices on hand. I also throw on different veggies, fish and nuts on top.

I also switched from my 10 oz glass of OJ every morning to a little bit of OJ before my morning class and an orange when I come home. Less calories in an orange and more fiber.

I drink a lot of water. I keep a 32 oz water bottle beside the fridge and I try very hard to make sure I drink two of them a day. I also drink 32 oz of water before, during and after my workout, which doesn't count toward my daily 64 oz of water. I am juicing vegetables again and drinking about 16 oz of carrot juice a day. All of that water keeps us hydrated and helps our body flush out the toxins.

All of these little things add up. Since implementing these changes I have so much energy and I don't crave sugar as much. I have also lost 5 pounds...this wasn't my goal, but a nice added benefit :) Most of all I like knowing that I'm eating good foods and being a good example for my children.

No comments: