Sunday, January 11, 2009

This will only hurt for a little while.

This time of year many people are starting new exercise programs. For many of them, this will be the first time in a long time that they have pushed their bodies to places that their bodies haven't gone before. We have a new group of clients coming through our 10 week program. For them, this week promises to be full of pain.

They are going to hurt in places that they didn't even know that they had. They will feel muscle aches that will make them want to curl up with a hot pad and a bottle of Ibuprofen.

I remember when I did our 10 week program. It was a Monday in April and I crawled out of bed at 4:30 am to go to class. The instructor kicked my butt (thanks T). The pain didn't start till later that afternoon. Then Tuesday evening I went to class in so much pain that I could barely walk. Now, I'm not a cussing girl but that night when the instructor said we were going to do more squats...a bit of profanity came out of my mouth and I really didn't like that instructor at that moment (sorry D).

My point is that it will only hurt for a little while. It's called DOMS...Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. After a few days the pain will start to subside and you will feel stronger and better able to sustain yourself during exercise sessions.

We just have to work through the pain, unless it's a sudden pain then stop immediately. The pain will go away and you will feel much better for having worked hard. Don't let the pain keep you from working out. Do you know what helps the pain? Working out! The pain will go away during your next workout, especially with proper stretching out and warming up. Now, that doesn't mean that the pain won't start again later, but it will eventually go away. Just keep in mind what you are working for...a healthier and stronger you. It will all be worth in the end.

Hang in there and workout hard!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

You are so encouraging! I am so glad you stuck with it and now encourage others to do the same. Keep the uplifting posts coming.